Thursday, March 10, 2011

London calling

London dreams! Yeah, I still get those.
I have been having an affair with London since April 2009. And I have no hassles accepting that :) I could dedicate one entire blog to this wonderful city. I landed at Heathrow in September for the first time and I fell in love with London even without stepping out of the airport. Sounds weird? I know. If someone told me that, my reaction would be the same. I might have to write a couple of posts to cover all that you can do here.

Remember:
1. 60 pounds is NOT enough for shopping! Yeah, the first time around,I carried 60 pounds thinking i had so much money :)
2. You will have to wear multiple (and I really mean multiple) layers to save your self from the cold
3. You will need to carry an umbrella and a bottle of water at all times. Buying water off the street is expensive.
4. You only need a good pair of walking shoes. You will HAVE to walk a lot!

Now, that I have given you some basic idea, I'll dive right in.
London is known as "the world in one city". All of that aside, it is quintessentially British. Everything about it is British.
To travel:
The black cabs look cute, but they're expensive. Opt for the tube, or get yourself a Bus pass. Definitely get yourself an Oyester Card or you will end up paying more without it.

To stay:
If you're looking for cheap places to stay, try the dorms. You will be able to get these for anything between £30 - £80 depending on the area. Always always book in advance. If you are willing to spend a little more, try the B n B's. When i was looking at options, i got something for as low as £120 a night. They're a good option since you'll be spending most of your time out on the streets. If you're planning about two - three months in advance, I suggest you visit http://www.gumtree.com/ and check out rooms for rent.

To do:
There is just so much you can do in and around London. Daminee and I have had the best time of our lives just walking down Oxford street, spending a whole day at Westfield, watching Musicals, lazing in a park, taking a coffee break at Starbucks, strolling in Covent Garden (its a shopping street, not a garden!) or just spending the evenings at Asda :) Watch a couple of Musicals. We saw Dirty Dancing and Lion King. Each was an evening to remember.

Stores to Visit
You cannot miss out any store. Just walk into each and every one of them. This city is "The" place to shop. It can be a little too much for your pocket. So spend wisely and keep a look out for sales. Who doesn't love a good sale, eh!

Places to eat
1. Ping Pong. My most favorite restaurant. Look up the various locations. They market themselves as being the best for Dim Sums "the little parcels of deliciousness" and I'll tell you this -- They are not bluffing. They Pinacoladas are the best. Try the Mojitos as well. Very very nice. For food, you cannot miss out the prawn balls and the sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf.
2. Masala Zone in Covent Garden tops my list for Indian restaurants. It's indian food served the Indian way. It's actually better then the food I've eaten in delhi. You can eat here after a full day of shopping at Covent Garden. Try the Rogan Josh. Yummmmmmm....
3. Cafe Concerto at Regent Street is another favorite. It's an Italian bristo and has the most "good looking" deserts.
4. Bangalore Express at Waterloo road. Head here for some authentic mutton biryani and delicious, creamy, just-right Dal Makhani. The interiors make you feel like you're sitting on the upper berth of a coach. They have a full br license as well. Very "express"ive.
5. The Marks n Spencers food department. If you're on-the-go, just pick up one of the packed meals. You cannot miss out on the strawberry eclairs. My sister can eat a whole box(has 6) and still not feel guilty.
6. Butter cupcake shop. Oh My God! Your visit to London is not complete without eating these delicious cupcakes. We knew of one at Westfield. Try the one with vanilla and strawberry curls or the moccha. Or try one of each. They are sinful.
7. Pontis at Covent Garden Market. They have the best Tiramisu. Trust me. It is to die for!!
[Im sure you're wondering why many of my favorite places to eat are at Covent Garden. Thats because we spent a lot of time there. There is nothing that you don't get here.]
8. The Waffle Place at Oxford street. Freshly cooked, absolutely delicious waffles with a whole range of toppings to choose from. My favorites are the Belgian chocolate and the fresh strawberry.
9. Wagamama. Look up the different locations. I have been to the one at Canary Wharf. Order a bottle of the Asahi beer, to begin with. For the main course, try the Yaki Udon or the Chicken Tama Rice.

Ok. So that is it for today... Thats a lot about food and a lot about London. London truly is my favorite city in the world. All in all, you just have to visit London once (or many times, if your bank balance allows for some splurging). You'll see for yourself what i mean. This does no justice to what all you can do here and how much fun this city is!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written... Makes me miss all those wonderful moments spent with you in london. It is undoubtedly the most amazing place in the world. I so wish i could go back somehow. Would love to see some pictures added to this...that would just be perfect!

    ReplyDelete