Thursday, February 3, 2011

So I finally decided to write a blog :)

Yes, thats correct. I am starting to write my own blog. This blog that you're seeing will tell you all about my travels, what I do, where I got the cheapest tickets, where I stayed, what I ate, etc etc. and I think its going to be fun! Well, at least it will save me from boredom. So, let me start with where I just got back from - Thailand!

Crystal clear turquoise waters, little rocky islands, lime-stone steep sided mountains and cliffs, clean roads, and stunning views. This sums up Thailand. Every time I looked at pictures from this beautiful country, I couldn’t help but be jealous of people who had been there, done that. Now that I just got back, you can be jealous of me. Our first stop was Krabi. It lies in Thailand’s southern province.
We drove 40 minutes from the airport to get the first visual of the blue sea. It was spectacular! I have been to Maldives and I have seen beautiful beaches, but this was just something else. We had booked ourselves at the Tubkaek Krabi Botique Resort. Trip advisor said it was one of the best places to stay at and it also won the travelers choice award for 2010. Well, it was everything I had thought I would be. Pranav and I looked at each other and we knew instantly that this was going to be perfect.

It is a boutique hotel and has been done up very tastefully. The staff was very courteous and the best part was that they understood English (which, may I add, is a big problem in Thailand). We were greeted with some nice local tea and made to sit on comfortable couches. Next, I completed the paperwork and a very sweet guest services assistant gave us a brief tour of the hotel. We then walked up a wooden staircase leading us to our beautiful little room. I would have thought that the room could have been slightly bigger, but it was very nice none-the-less. The room had a nice chocolate wood flooring, spacious cupboards, a safe, a nice couch, an LCD TV and DVD player, and a cute little balcony with big green cushions.
The thing we liked most was the loo. No kidding! The bathing area had a shower and a bath tub and no roof :) They had stocked the shelves with everything we could have forgotten: toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, sewing kit, shampoos, conditioner, mosquito repellant, and even sunscreen lotion. Only that that we would have to pay for the sunscreen if we used it. There was also a cane basket with two beach towels and hand fans, should it get too hot on the beach.

On the whole, I would definitely go back to this hotel if I went to Krabi again. Pranav and I spent the rest of the day sleeping in our room. We woke up only to realize that it was time for dinner and some nice cocktails, Thai style. The restaurant was lovely. It was right on the beach. The sand was soft. You didn’t need to wear flip flops and you could just walk around bare foot. We ordered wine and one Krabi fizz (sparkling wine with fresh mango juice and mango). Bliss!
The dinner was yummy. Penang curry and rice with some stir fired vegetables in oyster sauce.

The next morning we were all geared up to see what Krabi had to offer. So Pranav and I rented a car (Maruti Suzuki Sporty, TBH 1100 per day, fuel extra), took some maps and we were on our way. The day after that, we did a full day tour of Koh Phi Phi islands. The tour guide was really sweet, fluent in english and served us some yummy Krabi cake and fresh fruits at the end of the trip. I have no words to describe what I saw and how gorgeous it was. This is a must do when you visit the southern province. You can even do Phi Phi from Phuket. BTW, Krabi is a 3 hour drive from Phuket. On the last day, we drove to Sea kayak. This was the most amazing experience. We kayaked 6 kms through swampy mangroves. Spooky, but nice. I was thinking to my self – ‘let there be anything by crocodiles and snakes’. I hate those creepy crawlies and I wouldn’t know what to do if I saw a crocodile. Run for your life? But where!

Things to do:
Rent a car and drive around Krabi. It’s worth it.
• Visit the night market in Krabi town. It is behind the Vogue shopping center in town. This is open Friday through Sunday, 5 pm – 10:30 pm.
Kayaking in the mangroves (Ao thalene, Thalene bay. Try Sea kayak).
Railay beach (you will need to take a long tail boat from Ao nang beach. Cost THB 160 per person. You may have to wait for about 8 people before the boat is ready to go)
Ao nang beach (awesome night life and good shopping. Don’t forget to bargain. For something that’s is priced at THB 1000, you can bargain and pay almost half. If they really can’t sell it at half the price , they will tell you – ‘can’t give, not possible, I no sell’)
Phi Phi islands tour (you can ask your hotel to book it for you)
Hong islands tour
• We didn’t manage to do the Thai cooking classes, but its supposed to be a great experience. It lasts 2 and a half hours and you go the veggies and meats yourself.
Khao Phanom Bencha National Park: when we reached, the park was closed for the day. But it is said to have a lovely waterfall. It’s open from 9 am until 4:30 pm.

Thanks it for now!
ta!

1 comment: